Why shouldn't that be us – you and me and ten thousand other concerned, talented, passionate and caring people?
Look around . . . governments are in a stalemate, corporations are downsizing, banks have stopped lending, schools are overcrowded and in decline, unemployment is painfully high, real estate values are stagnant.
Think about how much time you have left on this Earth. Maybe you have 5 years, or 10 or even 20 or 30. How do you want to spend that time? Do you want to spend it surviving or do you want to spend it thriving and leaving a legacy?
Imagine that decades from now when historians look back at this time they'll say "at the 11th hour thousands of ordinary people came together, from all parts of the country, from all backgrounds, races, ages and political views, united only in their passionate desire to forge a righter future for themselves, their families, their communities and the nation."
Imagine being a part of THAT movement – a movement that didn't tear anyone or anything down, but built things up; a movement that wasn't orchestrated by the 1% but was fueled by the other 99%; a movement that inspired a nation to heal itself and re-connect to the self-reliance, strength, high values and deep faith that once sustained it.
You may be thinking "that sounds great but who am I to do these great things?
You may be thinking "who are YOU to lead a movement that you want ME to join?"
You may be thinking "why do anything? The problems are too great."
I asked myself that question a hundred times while lying in a hospital bed for months. Why bother? I built the life I wanted and then . . . in an instant it was gone.
I'd had a terrible accident.
I had been in a coma for weeks. I was paralyzed. I had a severe brain injury. I was not expected to recover. That's why I was asking the question "why bother?"
Then my Pastor challenged me to something greater. He challenged me to stop feeling sorry for myself, stop thinking about the life I'd lost and start finding a higher calling – a new life that would fulfill and sustain me.
When I answered that higher calling 30 years ago I had absolutely no idea what to do. I was lying paralyzed in a bed, learning to do the simplest tasks like talk, move my arm or swallow a glass of water. I didn't wake up one day and think "I'm going to lead a movement to pass federal law to protect the rights of millions of people."
But I did. Me and a few other people united by our common passion for all people with disabilities forged a movement. We declared a purpose – equality under the law for all people with disabilities. We formed a small coalition. We asked for help and support from anyone we could. We researched the issues. We developed a new approach for housing and caring for people with severe and chronic conditions. We proved it was more cost-effective and provided equal rights to people long denied them. We took it to the top of our state government and, in that 11th hour, when defeat seemed sure, the media, concerned citizens, individuals and groups all around our state rose up and supported us.